The following comments from the April 5 Gubernatorial Forum summarize the NMBHPA’s plan for stabilizing the New Mexico’s behavioral health system.
Gubernatorial Candidate Forum
April 5, 2018
New Mexico Behavioral Health Providers’ Association (NMBHPA) Maggie’s opening comments
Welcome to our candidate guests, and to everyone here and on Facebook. Thank you for being here and supporting or issues.
NMBHPA was incorporated in 2014 as a non-profit professional trade association individuals and organizations that provide publicly funded behavioral health care in New Mexico.
The current behavioral health system has many positive features. However repeated disruptions and other destabilizing events have limited the potential of the system. Some of these disruptions have included system restructuring every 4 years for the past 20 years, multiple agency closures due to allegations of Medicaid Fraud, significant work force shortages, and inadequate reimbursements
To address the effect of these disruptions, NMBHPA strongly supports the following plan to stabilize behavioral health system
- Improve access to care in all areas of the State including prevention, peer support, and community-based services
- Allow flexible funding and flexibility in providing services through reasonable regulation.
- Reduce administrative burden and paperwork by seeking alignment of service, documentation and billing requirements
- Support a strong provider network by including provider representatives in system level, design, policy development and decision making
- Support provider fiscal viability.
- Have a system wide shared vision of outcomes
We look forward to partnering with the new Governor to achieve positive change for New Mexico, and again….. Thank you for being here and Welcome.